Crisis Management Foundation (S-CMF)Learn crisis preparedness, response and communication fundamentals from crisis management consultants Request quoteBook as in-company
What will you learn?
- 9Understand how crises emerge, progress, and impact individuals and organisations;
- 9Find out what key activities to carry out in each phase of the crisis management lifecycle (prevention & preparation, response and recovery);
- 9Understand the fundamental principles of crisis management methodology and apply them to basic crisis scenarios;
- 9Explore how an Internal Crisis Management Organisation works and how to participate effectively in a Crisis Management Team meeting;
- 9Understand best-practice internal and external crisis communication principles and apply them to basic crisis scenarios;
- 9Grasp the fundamental principles of stakeholder analysis and reputation management.
- 3 course days, 1pm – 5.30pm CEST
- 8 hours of self-study
- R1 CPE credit per study hour
Crisis Management Foundation Course – Comprehensive beginner’s crisis management training
Our Crisis Management Foundation course introduces you to the fundamental principles of effective crisis management and crisis communications. In this beginner’s crisis management training, you will familiarise yourself with the crisis management lifecycle and learn what activities you need to perform in each crisis stage to contain the impact of a crisis and help your organisation recover from disruptions. While getting acquainted with industry best-practice crisis management methodology, you will gain insight into real-world crisis management experts’ tips and tricks on crisis preparedness and crisis response, with a special focus on internal and external communicatations during a crisis. Furthermore, you will understand how an internal crisis organisation functions and what resources it needs to perform its tasks. Throughout the course, you will participate in basic Crisis Management Team meetings and apply your newly acquired crisis management skills to basic crisis scenarios with real-life relevance.
Is this Crisis Management Foundation course for you?
This Crisis Management Foundation course is ideal for beginners with no previous experience in crisis management. If you are interested in learning the basics of identifying (potential) crises, containing the impact of adverse events on your organisation and communicating during a crisis to stakeholders, this course is the perfect choice.
Do you already have a good understanding of key crisis management principles? And are you looking for a more advanced crisis management training with plenty of interactive crisis simulation practice? Then we advise you to register for our Crisis Management Practitioner Course. This training was specifically designed by expert crisis management consultants for professionals considering a career in crisis management or crisis communications.
What is included in this Crisis Management Foundation course?
Before the training starts, you will receive your course material through our student portal. The course materials are in English. The language of instruction is either English or Dutch, depending on the participants.
Your Crisis Management Foundation training package includes:
- Official SECO-Institute course materials developed by practicing crisis management professionals;
- Training from passionate instructors with extensive experience in crisis management (consultancy);
- Practice exam and exam syllabus so you can fully prepare for your certification exam;
- Certification exam voucher;
- Access to the (S)ECO-system, a professional community website where you will find additional resources and exclusive knowledge events.
Crisis Management Foundation Course Modules
Module 1 – Introduction to managing a crisis
Understand what factors may trigger a crisis and learn what crisis management activities should be performed in each stage of the crisis to achieve successful recovery. Learn how a Crisis Management Organisation operates, and what aspects should be included in an organisation’s crisis management strategy.
- Definition of crisis, crisis management and crisis communications
- The relationship between crisis management and business continuity management
- The characteristics and impact of a crisis
- The Crisis Management Organisation
- The Crisis Management Plan
- The crisis management process
Module 2 – Reputation Management
Understand the importance of reputation management. Learn what measures organisations should take to build and maintain a good reputation.
- Making reputation a priority
- Crisis communication and reputation management
Module 3 – Internal and external crisis communications
Learn how to enhance the effectiveness of your internal and external crisis communications. Perform a stakeholder analysis to improve your crisis communications, and gain insight into how to handle (social) media platforms effectively during a crisis. Understand what additional factors you will need to deal with in a cross-border crisis situation.
- Communication within the Crisis Management Team
- Internal crisis communications
- External crisis communications
- Structured approach to handling social media and the press
- International crisis management
Crisis Management Foundation Certification Exam
The Crisis Management Foundation certification exam is conducted by the SECO-Institute, Europe’s leading security and continuity certification body. The exam voucher is included in the course fee, but you need to schedule your exam with the SECO-Institute. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will receive an exam certificate and an invitation to register your official SECO-Crisis Management Foundation (S-CMF) certification title free of charge. By activating your certification title, you will become a certified professional in your field and you will receive a shareable digital badge to verify your competence to clients, employers and fellow professionals.
- Exam language: English
- Exam delivery: Online exam with remote proctoring
- Exam format: 40 multiple-choice questions
- Duration: 60 minutes
Why earn a SECO-Crisis Management Foundation (S-CMF) certificate?
The SECO-Crisis Management Foundation certification exam tests your understanding of key crisis management principles and practices. By passing the certification exam and earning a SECO-Crisis Management Foundation (S-CMF) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to:
- Identify a crisis situation;
- Correctly identify crisis-stages and the actions appropriate to each stage;
- Understand the importance of the “golden hour”;
- Understand the structure and function of crisis management, support, communication, damage assessment and recovery teams;
- Identify priorities in the event of a crisis;
- Understand the fundamental principles of reputation management;
- Perform a basic stakeholder analysis for crisis communications;
- Apply basic employee and media crisis communications principles.
What are the benefits of an S-CMF certificate?
An S-CMF certificate demonstrates that you have a good understanding of the fundamentals of crisis management, reputation management and crisis communications. If you are considering a career in crisis management or crisis communications, S-CMF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the industry and advance your skills with higher-level crisis management trainings. The certificate is particularly suitable for professionals in public relations, business and administration, facility management and security. If you work in a similar role, S-CMF may be your opportunity to take your first step towards becoming a crisis communications specialist, a crisis communications spokesperson, or a crisis manager. S-CMF also has benefits for managers and start-up owners who are new to crisis management and wish to prepare for implementing a crisis management plan in their organization.
Authors & Lead Trainers
1pm – 5pm
30 June 2023
3, 7 July 2023
In-company training tailored to your needs
Schedule this training as in-company. Upskill your entire team in the most cost-effective way!