What will you learn?
- 9Understand the technology behind the Dark Web;
- 9Use Tor to discover hidden sites and services;
- 9Grasp the business dynamics of Dark Markets;
- 9Gain insight into Dark Web investigations through real-world incidents;
- 9Get a thorough grounding in Bitcoin transactions, Bitcoin mining and Bitcoin laundering.
- 3 days, 1pm – 5.30pm CEST
- 8 hours of self-study
- R1 CPE credit per study hour
- Participants need to install the TOR browser on their PC/Laptop
Dark Web Foundation – Learn to safely access and navigate the Dark Web
In Dark Web Foundation, you learn how to safely access the Dark Web and how to find information on Dark websites for threat intelligence or research purposes. This hands-on beginner’s Dark Web training draws on the practical experience of high-level cybersecurity experts and Dark Web researchers. The learning material was co-developed with the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO), the first scientific research institute to partner with INTERPOL to combat cybercrime.
During the course, you will understand the technology behind the Dark Web, and you will use Tor to discover hidden sites and services. You will grasp the business dynamics of Dark Markets, and you will gain insight into Dark Web investigations through real-world incidents. Finally, you will get a thorough grounding in Bitcoin transactions, Bitcoin mining and Bitcoin laundering.
To participate in Dark Web Foundation, you will need to install the TOR browser on your PC/Laptop.
Who is Dark Web Foundation for?
Dark Web Foundation is an ideal training for technical and non-technical security professionals, investigators and intelligence officials, especially:
- IT and information security professionals who aspire to use the Dark Web for (cyber) threat intelligence, will benefit from learning the basics of accessing the Dark Web safely and monitoring it for new threats;
- Law enforcement and intelligence professionals (police, justice, defence, fiscal authorities and investigators) will benefit from insights on how criminal activities evolve on the hidden part of the web, and how crypto currencies are used for money transactions and money laundering.
- Dark Web Foundation has also received keen interest from policy-makers and government officials in their efforts to develop legislation to combat crime in the digital era.
What is included in Dark Web Foundation?
- Official SECO-Institute course materials developed by practicing cyber security specialists;
- Training from passionate instructors who are active in Dark Web monitoring and cyber security research;
- Practice exam and exam syllabus so you can fully prepare for your Dark Web certification exam;
- Certification exam voucher;
- Access to the (S)ECO-system, a professional community website where you will find additional resources and knowledge events.
Module 1: Introduction to the Dark Web
- History of the Dark Web and the Tor project
- Understanding Dark Markets
- Finding Deep/Dark Web sites
Module 2: The Onion Router (Tor)
- Identifiable information
- Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) and cryptographic principles
- Onion routing
- Perfect forwarding secrecy
- The Tor browser
Module 3: Bitcoin and Blockchain
- Bitcoin basics
- Blockchain technology
- Advanced wallets
- Bitcoin laundering and mixing services
Dark Web Foundation Certification Exam
The Dark Web Foundation certification exam tests your real-world Dark Web skills. The exam is conducted by the SECO-Institute, Europe’s leading security and continuity certification body. The exam voucher is included in the course fee, but you need to schedule your exam with the SECO-Institute. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will receive an exam certificate and an invitation to register your official SECO-Dark Web Foundation (S-DWF) certification title free of charge. By activating your certification title, you will become a certified professional in your field and you will receive a shareable digital badge to verify your competence to clients, employers and fellow professionals.
- Exam language: English
- Exam delivery: Online exam with remote proctoring
- Exam format: 40 multiple-choice questions
- Duration: 60 minutes
Benefits of a SECO-Dark Web Foundation (S-DWF) certificate
By passing the Dark Web Foundation certification exam and earning a SECO-Dark Web Foundation (S-DWF) certificate, you demonstrate your ability to:
- Understand how privacy-enhancing technologies are used on the Dark Web;
- Understand how onion routing works;
- Install and use the Tor browser;
- Find Dark Markets and hidden services;
- Understand the business dynamics of Dark Markets;
- Understand the fundamental principles of blockchain technology;
- Understand how Bitcoin transactions work;
- Understand how Bitcoin laundering works.
What are the benefits of an S-DWF certificate?
An S-DWF certificate demonstrates that you can safely access and navigate the Dark Web.
If you are an IT or information security professional, demonstrating that you can navigate the Dark Web securely is an excellent way to further advance your career. In today’s information security, proactively monitoring the Dark Web for potential vulnerabilities and new exploits is an essential defensive tool. Research by cybersecurity company Recorded Future has revealed that from over 12,500 disclosed vulnerabilities, more than 75 % were reported on the Dark Web before they were published in NIST’s centralised National Vulnerability Database (NVD). As the Dark Web grows, there will be an increasing need for skilled and qualified professionals who can use it for threat anticipation and prevention.
For police officers and law enforcement personnel, Dark Web skills will become essential in the 21st century. As the Dark Web’s user base expands, law enforcement will increasingly invest in staffing and training to combat criminal cyber activity.
Authors & Lead Trainers
In-company training tailored to your needs
Schedule this training as in-company. Upskill your entire team in the most cost-effective way.