What will you learn?
- 9 Understand the technology behind different Dark Webs;
- 9 Use dark search engines and other techniques to find sites on the Dark Web;
- 9 Learn to set up your own hidden service;
- 9A deep dive in general Clear Web (OSINT) techniques with exercises;
- 9 Learn to investigate sites and blockchains combined with OSINT techniques;
- 3 days
- 19 hours of self-study
- R1 CPE credit per study hour
- Participants need to install the TOR browser on their PC/Laptop
Dark Web Practitioner – A comprehensive and practical dive into the Dark Web technologies, such as TOR and I2P.
Dark Web Practitioner offers a comprehensive and practical dive into the Dark Web technologies, such as TOR and I2P. During the course, you will understand the technology behind different Dark Webs. You will use dark search engines and other techniques to find sites on the Dark Web. To better understand the technology, you will learn to set up your own hidden service. You will learn to investigate sites and blockchains combined with OSINT techniques. The course will end in a Capture The Flag exercise that allow you to combine and apply all the knowledge and research techniques that you’ve learned during the training.
Who is Dark Web Practitioner for?
Dark Web Practitioner is an ideal training for professionals that want to take a comprehensive and practical dive into the Dark Web technologies.
This is an advanced course so previous knowledge about the Dark Web is advised. Our Dark Web Foundation course will give you all the basics needed to follow this course.
What is included in Dark Web Practitioner?
- Official SECO-Institute course materials developed by practicing cyber security specialists;
- Training from passionate instructors who are active in Dark Web monitoring and cyber security research;
- Practice exam and exam syllabus so you can fully prepare for your Dark Web certification exam;
- Certification exam voucher;
- Access to the (S)ECO-system, a professional community website where you will find additional resources and knowledge events.
Module 1: Introduction and recap
Introduction to the course, its learning objectives and the topics covered and a short recap of the topics found in the Foundation course (blockchain, PGP, Dark Web, TOR, Dark Markets).
- Candidates understand the Dark Web and the technologies used.
- Candidates understand the use of PGP.
- Candidates know what hidden services and markets can be found on the Dark Web.
- Candidates can find Dark Web sites.
- Candidates understand how to navigate a blockchain.
Module 2: I2P network basics and the TOR network in more depth
An overview and explanation of different techniques used to create the dark web using I2P and more technical explanation of the techniques used in the TOR network. Including exercises how to run a hidden service and connect and get around the I2P network. Also explains the differences between the two networks (use cases, strengths, onion routing versus garlic routing). With practical exercises you will setup your own hidden service and discover hidden services on the I2P Dark Web.
- Candidates understand the techniques behind the TOR network in more depth.
- Candidates understand how to setup a hidden service.
- Candidates know how I2P works and what the differences are between I2P and
- Candidates understand onion routing as well as garlic routing.
Module 3: OSINT and the Dark Web
A deep dive in general Clear Web (OSINT) techniques with exercises. Explaining how to use these techniques to uncover Dark Web Operations. Finding hidden services and combining techniques to find personal details or technical details behind Dark Web operations. Crawling the TOR network using turbot and using turbot to find information on the TOR network. The candidate will also find hidden services that are used by ransomware gangs to show their successful attacks.
- Candidates can apply OSINT techniques used on the Clear Web and apply these techniques on the Dark Web.
- Candidate is able to find PGP fingerprints
- Candidate is able to reverse image search
- Candidate is able to use advanced search engine techniques
- Candidate is able to use search engines to find hidden services
- Candidate is able to use forums and pastebins to find sites on the Dark Web
- Candidate is able to download and use turbot to setup a personal Dark Web crawler.
Module 4: Blockchain analysis
The candidates will learn how to use tools to do chain analysis: finding patterns and following transaction using a blockchain. We will look at different blockchains, like Bitcoin and Monero, to see the differences.
- Candidates can apply chain analysis of different blockchains.
- Candidates can apply chain analysis to link information together.
- Candidates understand different types of blockchains.
- Candidates understand how Monero works and how it is different from Bitcoin.
Module 5: Capture the Flag
During the Capture The Flag exercise an elaborate investigation will be conducted to uncover information on a certain Dark Web criminal. Several flags can be found during the exercise.
Dark Web Practitioner Certification Exam
The Dark Web Practitioner certification exam tests your real-world Dark Web skills. The exam is conducted by the SECO-Institute, Europe’s leading security and continuity certification body. The exam voucher is included in the course fee, but you need to schedule your exam with the SECO-Institute. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will receive an exam certificate and an invitation to register your official SECO-Dark Web Practitioner (S-DWP) certification title free of charge. By activating your certification title, you will become a certified professional in your field and you will receive a shareable digital badge to verify your competence to clients, employers and fellow professionals.
- Exam language: English
- Exam delivery: Online exam with remote proctoring
- Questions: 10 multiple-choice questions, 5 open questions
- Duration: 120 minutes
- In addition to the theory exam, a practical exam will also be held on the last day of this course in the form of a “Capture the flag challenge”
Benefits of a SECO-Dark Web Foundation (S-DWF) certificate
By passing the Dark Web Practitioner certification exam and earning a SECO-Dark Web Practitioner (S-DWP) certificate, you demonstrate a thorough understanding of the technologies behind the Dark Web, such as TOR and I2P. You are able to use dark search engines and other techniques, like OSINT, to find site on the Dark Web and uncover Dark Web Operations. Moreover are you able to succesfully find and analyse blockchain transactions.
Authors & Lead Trainers
In-company training tailored to your needs
Schedule this training as in-company. Upskill your entire team in the most cost-effective way.