IT-Security Foundation (S-ITSF)Learn IT security fundamentals from practicing IT security specialists Request quoteBook as in-company
What will you learn?
- 9Build solid IT security knowledge without having to immerse yourself deeply in information technology;
- 9Learn what components make up an IT infrastructure and understand the (potential) vulnerabilities of each component;
- 9Explore how attackers exploit common vulnerabilities and what tools, techniques and controls you can use to prevent exploitation;
- 9Get a practical overview of best-practice hardware, software, network, database and cloud vulnerabilities and protections;
- 9Benefit from the insights of practicing cyber security managers and specialists.
- 3 course days, 1pm – 5.30pm CEST
- 8 hours of self-study
- R1 CPE credit per study hour
IT-Security Foundation Course – Entry-level IT security training by practicing IT security specialists
Information security rests on three pillars: people, processes and technology. None of the three can do without the rest. But understanding the technical pillar is often quite difficult for security managers. Our IT-Security Foundation course gives you a complete introduction to the concepts and tools used in IT security, and equips you with the knowledge and skills you need to effectively communicate with IT professionals to improve your organisation’s technical (cyber) security.
Designed by practicing IT security experts with experience in (cyber) security management, this beginner’s IT security training helps you understand fundamental IT security principles, challenges and best-practice remedies without asking you to immerse yourself in technical details. In this course, you will get a complete overview of IT infrastructure components, vulnerabilities and protection mechanisms. You will learn what components make up an IT infrastructure and how each component can be secured against common threats. In particular, you will explore common hardware, operating system, software, network, database and cloud vulnerabilities and protections. You will understand how attackers operate and what best-practice defence techniques you can use to protect yourself against attacks.
By completing this IT-Security Foundation course, you will understand the security threats that could affect your IT infrastructure, and you will know how to secure each component to protect your organisation from security risks. If you are building a career in IT security, this course is ideal to build up the fundamental IT security skills you need to move on to advanced IT security trainings and certifications. After completing IT-Security Foundation, you will be fully equipped to follow our IT-Security Practitioner course, where you will have the opportunity to deep-dive into the pragmatics of securing an IT infrastructure and practice an IT Security Manager’s tasks with realistic hands-on assignments. You will also have sufficient technical knowledge to follow our CISM Preparation Course and prepare for your ISACA CISM certification exam.
Prerequisites to joining this IT Security Foundation course
This is an entry-level IT security training. No previous knowledge or experience is required. Familiarity with the most commonly used IT terms is recommended.
The course is ideal for absolute beginners with a basic knowledge of computers and technology. Do you already have a good understanding of IT security principles and you are interested in practicing a Security Manger’s tasks? Take our IT-Security Practitioner course and ready yourself for a career in IT security management.
Is this IT-Security Foundation course for you?
This course was primarily designed for professionals who have a limited technical background but should be able to work together with technical IT security experts, network or system administrators with ambitions to start a career in IT security, and aspiring information security professionals who lack technical security knowledge. Typical participants include:
- Aspiring information security officers
- IT risk officers
- IT governance officers
- Line managers
- Service management officers
- Helpdesk employees
What is included in this IT-Security Foundation course?
- Official SECO-Institute course materials developed by practicing IT security specialists;
- Training from passionate instructors who are active in IT security (management);
- Practice exam and exam syllabus so you can fully prepare for your certification exam;
- Certification exam voucher;
- Access to the (S)ECO-system, the SECO-Institute’s professional community website where you will find additional resources and exclusive knowledge events.
IT-Security Foundation Course Modules
- Operating Systems
- Modes of cooperation
- Types of software
- Common causes of vulnerabilities
- Mitigations for common vulnerabilities
- Networking devices
- Network connections
- Network models
- Network architecture
- Network addressing
- Types of cryptography
- Public Key Infrastructure
- Major cryptographic network protocols
- Major cryptographic applications
IT security administration
- Know your enemy: Hacking as a process, Tool of their trade
- Know yourself: IT security administration as a process, Tool of our trad
IT-Security Foundation Certification Exam
The certification exam is conducted by the SECO-Institute, Europe’s leading security and continuity certification body. The exam voucher is included in the course fee, but you need to schedule your exam with the SECO-Institute. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will receive an exam certificate and an invitation to register your official SECO-IT-Security Foundation (S-ITSF) certification title free of charge. By activating your certification title, you will become a certified professional in your field and you will receive a shareable digital badge to verify your competence to clients, employers and fellow professionals.
- Exam language: English
- Exam delivery: Online exam with remote proctoring
- Exam format: 40 multiple-choice questions
- Duration: 60 minutes
Why earn a SECO IT-Security Foundation (S-ITSF) certificate?
The SECO-Institute’s IT-Security Foundation (ITSF) certification exam tests your understanding of common hardware, software, network, database and cloud vulnerabilities and protections. By passing the certification exam, you demonstrate that you have an overall understanding of fundamental IT security principles, security challenges and best-practice remedies. You are aware of the security threats that face your IT infrastructure, and you know how to secure each component to protect your organisation from security risks.
By passing the ITSF certification exam and earning a SECO-IT-Security Foundation (S-ITSF) certificate, you demonstrate that you:
- Have a basic understanding of computer architecture;
- Understand common hardware vulnerabilities and security measures;
- Understand operating system architecture and operating system vulnerabilities;
- Can identify effective security measures against malicious software;
- Have a good understanding of TCP/ IP networking;
- Understand the basics of network attacks and countermeasures;
- Have a good understanding of software and application vulnerabilities (OWASP top 10);
- Understand the basics of database vulnerabilities and countermeasures;
- Understand the fundamentals of symmetric, asymmetric and hybrid encryption;
- Understand how digital signatures and Public Key Infrastructures work;
- Understand how Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) work;
- Understand the importance of TLS, SSL, IPsec, S/MIME and Pretty Good Privacy;
- Understand the fundamentals of identity and access management;
- Understand the risks involved in using the Cloud;
- Understand the security threat landscape (attackers, attack tools and attack methods).
What are the benefits of a SECO IT-Security Foundation (S-ITSF) certificate?
An S-ITSF certificate demonstrates that you have an overall understanding of IT security challenges and best-practice remedies. If you are considering a career in IT security, S-ITSF provides you with an excellent opportunity to enter the security industry and advance your skills with higher-level security trainings. S-ITSF also has benefits for managers whose work involves regular communication with IT (security) specialists and / or if their business decisions affect the IT domain. The ability to perceive IT security risks and liaise with security professionals can considerably improve your efficacy as a manager. Depending on your interests and background, S-ITSF may even open you to new career opportunities – for example, a project or change management position in an IT or information security-related environment.
Authors & Lead Trainers
1pm – 5.30pm
8, 15, 22
In-company training tailored to your needs
Schedule this training as in-company. Upskill your entire team in the most cost-effective way!